Post Reply 

How To Install G'MIC

Apr 3, 2014, 10:53
Post: #1
How To Install G'MIC
Okay, I have a 64Bit laptop running windows 8.1 Norton Internet Security.

I have a few particles of knowledge around GIMP, however I to this day still have not been able to succesfully install GMIC onto my GIMP 2.8, I've tried nearly every method, including changing the plugin file in the preferences section.

90% of the time I will get a message saying that a certain file cannot be found, the other 10% would be my beloved Norton deciding to block gmic.exe even after I have stressed the fact that it is safe.

All I want is the Rodilius effect to use !!

Any help would be gladly appreciated and I would like to apologise if the terminology i've used above is wrong/sounds stupid. I live up to my name Smile

Many thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Apr 3, 2014, 11:21
Post: #2
RE: How To Install G'MIC
(Apr 3, 2014 10:53)ImANoob Wrote:  Okay, I have a 64Bit laptop running windows 8.1 Norton Internet Security.

I have a few particles of knowledge around GIMP, however I to this day still have not been able to succesfully install GMIC onto my GIMP 2.8, I've tried nearly every method, including changing the plugin file in the preferences section.

90% of the time I will get a message saying that a certain file cannot be found, the other 10% would be my beloved Norton deciding to block gmic.exe even after I have stressed the fact that it is safe.

All I want is the Rodilius effect to use !!

Any help would be gladly appreciated and I would like to apologise if the terminology i've used above is wrong/sounds stupid. I live up to my name Smile

Many thanks,
Which exact Gimp version are you running? 2.8.n?
From which site was it downloaded from?

Where did you download G'MIC from?
Did you download the 32 or 64 bit version?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Apr 3, 2014, 11:57
Post: #3
RE: How To Install G'MIC
(Apr 3, 2014 11:21)fluffybunny2 Wrote:  Which exact Gimp version are you running? 2.8.n?
From which site was it downloaded from?

Where did you download G'MIC from?
Did you download the 32 or 64 bit version?

I downloaded the 64 bit version, im not sure what 2.8 it is... it just says Gimpshop and then Gimp 2.8 when i click it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Apr 3, 2014, 19:26
Post: #4
RE: How To Install G'MIC
(Apr 3, 2014 11:57)ImANoob Wrote:  I downloaded the 64 bit version, im not sure what 2.8 it is... it just says Gimpshop and then Gimp 2.8 when i click it.

Two issues here

You should not be using GimpShop it comes with adware which is not in the accredited versions. You can get a good version here
http://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/window...-setup.exe
or at http://www.partha.com (choose the 64 bit version)

The gimp.org installer contains both 64 and 32 bit versions and will install the correct version for your Win OS.

I did look at GimpShop one time. I think that it was based on an old 2.8.0 32 bit version of Gimp. You can check and see if the folder GIMP 2 is in Program Files(x86). If it is, it is 32 bit.

Uninstall that one, install from Gimp.org

As far as I can see the last 64 bit gmic was this one, still recent, Feb 2014.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmic/fil...p/download
all the current ones marked 32 bit

Lots of files in this one
curl.exe gmic.exe gmic-silent.exe libfftw3-3.dll libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
libjpeg-9.dll liblzma-5__.dll libpng16-16.dll libstdc++-6.dll libtiff-5.dll
pthreadGC2-w64.dll Start_Terminal_With_Test_GMIC.bat zlib1__.dll zlib1.dll

Best of putting all these in C:\Users\'your-name'\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins

The next issue is your virus scanner and I can not help you there, I generally use linux which does not need virus scanners. Lots of links about Symantic and white lists, nothing looks very hopeful. You could try something like this
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/25/how-to-...-1-system/
might work

best of luck

** https://www.gimp-forum.net/ now answering questions**
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question beautify plugin ! i can not install it! unknown7 3 659 Feb 12, 2018 21:02
Last Post: unknown7
Photo G'MIC Superformula's limitations Armigus 1 518 Jul 8, 2017 18:55
Last Post: ythgilb
  Help with G'MIC sturner84 4 743 Sep 14, 2014 16:55
Last Post: sturner84
  G'MIC with python-fu? Vash Stampida 1 721 Aug 22, 2014 22:12
Last Post: Vash Stampida
  G'MIC Image Sequence AdrParkinson 7 1,016 Aug 10, 2014 08:12
Last Post: AdrParkinson

Forum Jump:


GIMP ForumPortalArchiveContactTermsRSS